WORLD MANUFACTURER IDENTIFIER (WMI)
Globally, automotive manufacturers utilize a numbering system called the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to uniquely identify a vehicle. The VIN comprises of 17 characters that uniquely identifies the vehicle as provided in ISO 3779 and ISO 4030. The first 3 characters of VIN that uniquely identifies the manufacturer of the vehicle is called the World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI). The next 6 characters of VIN is known as the Vehicle Descriptor section and the last 8 characters is known as the Vehicle Indicator Sector.
BIS being the National Standards Body of India and the member of the International Organization for Standardization, acts as the WMI coordinator in India and issues the WMI code to vehicle manufactures in India after these are assigned by Society of Automotive Engineers Inc., USA, the international agency responsible for the maintenance of the WMI codes. BIS charges a nominal fee of Rs 5000/- + applicable Taxes for this service.
Procedure for WMI Registration Procedure for WMI Registration
• Receipt of the application & Verification of supporting documents
• Proposal of WMI code as per the series and entry of the same in the BIS database
• Registration with SAE International, USA
• Confirmation letter from SAE International
• Communication of WMI to the applicant firm
CHECKLIST FOR WORLD MANUFACTURER IDENTIFIER (WMI & VIN)
1. Name, address of the firm and location of the manufacturing unit;
2. Photocopy of Certificate of incorporation, Memorandum and Article of
Association (MOA & AOA);
3. Photocopy of MSME UDHYOG AADHAR;
4. Installed capacity and number of vehicles manufactured per year( or proposed
capacity if manufacturing not yet started), along with the technical details of the
vehicles, brand name etc (model-wise);
5. Whether you are using any Coding system at present, if yes, its details;
6. Number of vehicles to be produced in the current year (proposed).
7. Details of top management along with designation;
8. Details of vehicle type- Trailer/ Truck/ Bus/ Passenger car/ Motorbike/ etc
9. Detail of VDS and Section of VIN along-with drawings ( we will design this with
10. Draft application, resolution and supporting documentation ( we will provide
To apply for a WMI code download: APPLICATION FOR WORLD MANUFACTURER IDENTIFIER (WMI) CODE
Components of VIN Components of VIN
VIN contains 17 digits
1-3 digits = World Manufacturer Identifier Number (WMI)
4-9 digits = Vehicle Descriptor Section (VDS)
10-17 digits = Vehicle Indicator Section (VIS)
SPLAN provides you a full range of support and service for establishing automobile industries including 2W, 3W, 4W, EV’s, Tractor, E-Rickshaw, Bus, Truck, Trailer, CEV, Power Tiller & Combine Harvestor. SPLAN also offers comprehensive certification and homologation services for the entire range of automotive vehicles as well as systems and components. SPLAN is an expert agency for testing and certifying following types of vehicles and engines used for both automotive and non-automotive applications. SPLAN already did a lot of certification & licenses for various automobile industris including 2W, 3W, 4W, EV’s, Tractor, E-Rickshaw, Bus, Truck, Trailer, CEV, Power Tiller & Combine Harvestor.
To certify or to sell automotive products in different international markets, one needs to be aware of each market’s specific legal requirements and obtain the necessary approvals from approval authorities.
In India following are the test agencies notified by Govt. of India, such as
Vehicle Research and Development Establishment (VRDE) of the Ministry of Defence of the Government of India (DRDO) or Automotive Research Association of India, (ARAI) Pune,
The Central Farm Machinery Testing and Training Institute (CFMTTI), Budni (MP),
The Indian Institute of Petroleum, Dehradun, or the Central Institute of Road Transport (CIRT), Pune,
The International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT), Manesar,
We can assist you in navigating the process for type approval and handle your approval process through various Test agencies approval authorities for Indian and International. We assist in preparing the vehicle, testing, documentation prior to submission of the vehicle for type approval (CMVR Certificate). We can provide the below activities
- Help you determine the technical and legal requirements for Indian markets
- Identify the approvals you need, based upon our research results
- Optimize the number and efficiency of the required tests.
- Offer you specific advice on issues that may emerge due to gaps or unclear wording in the legal standards that provide the basis for testing.
- Support you during the approval process, from the time of filing your application through to receipt of the approval certificates.
- Assist you in the preparation of your manufacturer’s documentation for Indian market.
- Assist you to certify the vehicle level testing by third party such as TUV, VCA , Applus IDIADA,
- The process of obtaining Type Approval can be a complex and time consuming.
We have experience in a wide range of homologation services for automotive and its products. We are able to offer a diverse range of services to the automotive sector seeking type approval for its products. We also assist in obtaining variant or extension Certification for all category of vehicles.
Our type approval expertise covers all vehicles from
- Two Wheeler
- Three Wheeler
- Passenger Car
- Light Commercial vehicles
- Heavy Commercial Vehicles
- CNG Vehicles
- LPG vehicles
- Electric vehicles / Battery Operated 2w,3w,4w ,Truck & Bus
- Ethanol Blend vehicles
- Hybrid Vehicles
- Retro-fitment Electrical vehicles
- All types of vehicles and its related components
ARAI Homologation Consultant
ICAT Homologation Consultant
Consultancy Services For E Rickshaw
Consultancy Services For E-Bike
Application for WORLD MANUFACTURER IDENTIFIER (WMI code)
Globally, automotive manufacturers utilize a numbering system called the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to uniquely identify a vehicle. The VIN comprises of 17 characters that uniquely identifies the vehicle as provided in ISO 3779 and ISO 4030. The first 3 characters of VIN that uniquely identifies the manufacturer of the vehicle is called the World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI). The next 6 characters of VIN is known as the Vehicle Descriptor section and the last 8 characters are known as the Vehicle Indicator Sector. CHECKLIST FOR WORLD MANUFACTURER IDENTIFIER (WMI) APPLICATION
There are several standards available on VINs and WMIs:
SAE – J129 – Engine and Transmission Identification Numbers
SAE – J187 – Truck Vehicle Identification Numbers
SAE – J218 – Passenger Car Identification Terminology
SAE – J272 – Vehicle Identification Number Systems
SAE – J853 – Vehicle Identification Numbers
SAE – J1044 – World Manufacturer Identifier
SAE – J1229 – Truck Identification Terminology
SAE – J1877 – Recommended Practice for Bar-Coded Vehicle Identification Number Label
SAE – J2750 – Assigned Identification Number Structure and Usage for North American Vehicles/ Watercraft Other than Certified to Federal Regulations